Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

Financial Aid Information for Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)

PhD Applicants

The EECS doctoral programs admit only those students for whom financial aid can be guaranteed for the anticipated duration of studies (five years for students entering with a BS, four years for students entering with an MS), assuming satisfactory progress is made. Most commonly, this financial aid is offered by the doctoral program when admission is offered, and consists of a fellowship, a research assistantship, a teaching assistantship, or a combination thereof. This aid normally includes a tuition waiver, stipend (currently $25,000 for 12 months) and health care. Students entering with an external fellowship will see their award adjusted to reflect the external support. As a condition of admission, students must report external fellowships--along with documentation of the award--to the Financial Aid Officer at the time that the admission application is submitted.

Master's Applicants

The EECS Department has limited financial aid to award to master's students at the time of application. On the other hand, master's students occasionally receive a research or teaching assistantship after they begin their studies. Master's students are encouraged to apply for fellowships from sources outside the Department. Many of the more common fellowships and other funding sources are listed below.

Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) and Graduate Student Research Assistant (GSRA)

GSI and GSRA positions are filled by both incoming and current graduate students. Doctoral students are given priority. GSIs and GSRAs are usually expected to work 16 to 20 hours a week, receiving full tuition and fees, monthly stipend, and university health care coverage.

  • Current students wishing a GSRA position contact faculty directly.
  • Current students desiring a GSI position must take part in the departmental application process which takes place two times during the academic year (November and April).

GSI Handbook
GSRA Guidelines

Scholarship and Fellowship Opportunities

Loan Information

Information regarding loans and FAFSA is available from the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid (734) 763-6600.

Office of Financial Aid - Graduate Programs

Need-based Aid for International Students

Information for sources of loans and financial assistance for international students is available from the University of Michigan Office of Financial Aid (734) 763-6600.

Office of Financial Aid - Financial Aid for International Students
Information regarding the cost of attending the University of Michigan