How to Apply — CSE Graduate Admissions
The CSE graduate program is part of the University of Michigan's Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies. Prospective Master's and Ph.D. students should submit applications through the Rackham School by following the instructions below.
« CSE Graduate Admissions
Step 1. Complete the online application
Use the Rackham Program Online Application. You may start your application, save the information, and then return as many times as necessary before final submission. It is an online application that accepts uploads of all supporting documentation. So as to not cause a delay in processing your application, please follow these directions carefully. Please note that the only hard copy materials that are required are official transcripts/marksheets, which are sent to the Rackham Graduate School, not the Department.
When completing your online application, please follow these directions carefully:
- Use your name (first and last/family) as it appears on your passport or other legal documents.
- For “Program Code,” use:
- Computer Science and Engineering MS/MSE Program: 00148
- Computer Science and Engineering Ph.D. Program: 00147
- For “Research Interest,” enter one of the following categories. This helps us route your application to the faculty members who are most interested.
For help picking a subplan, refer to the CSE Graduate Brochure.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Chip Design, Architecture and Emerging Devices
- Compilers and Runtime Systems
- Databases and Data Mining
- Embedded and Mobile Systems
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Networking, Operating Systems and Distributed Systems
- Secure, Trustworthy and Reliable Systems
- Theory of Computation
- Warehouse Scale and Parallel Systems
- Upload digital images of your transcripts according to the instructions provided in the application. You may cause a delay in the processing of your application if you do not include an electronic copy of your transcript(s) in the application. In addition, an original paper copy of your transcript(s) must be sent to the Rackham Graduate School for authentication purposes and calculating GPAs (see step #2c below).
- To apply for financial assistance, no separate application is required.
- Pay the application fee using a credit card. Unfortunately, we cannot waive or defer the fee.
- Compose your statement of purpose and personal statement. Your statement of purpose should address your academic research interests, past research experience, and future career goals. Your personal statement should describe how your life experiences affected your decision to pursue a graduate degree.
- Request three letters of recommendation from people who are familiar with your academic performance and research potential. We recommend that at least two letters come from faculty. Recommendation letters should be submitted electronically through the online application, if at all possible. (Paper copies of your letters of recommendation are discouraged, but if
you absolutely must submit a recommendation letter by postal mail, click here.)
- Please upload a copy of your GRE scores in addition to reporting your official scores to the University. If you do not have a copy to upload, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the scores and percentage (broken down individually)
and send a pdf of the copy when it is available.
- Please upload a copy of your TOEFL scores (for all non native speakers of English) in addition to reporting your official scores to the University. If you do not have a copy to upload, please send an email to email@example.com with the scores and percentage (broken down individually)
and send a pdf of the copy when it is available.
Step 2. Request official transcripts and test scores
After you complete the online application, you need to have your official test scores and transcripts delivered to Rackham.
- Have ETS send your GRE scores to institution code 1839. GRE scores are valid 5 years from the date you took the test to the deadline date when you apply. We encouage you to take the GRE no later than one month prior to the application deadline, and preferably earlier.
- International students: Have ETS send your TOEFL scores to institution code 1839. TOEFL scores are valid 2 years from the date you took the test to the deadline date when you apply. We encourage you to take the TOEFL no later than one month prior to the application deadline, and preferably earlier.
- Have your official transcripts, certificates, or diplomas mailed to Rackham at the address below. These official paper copies are required in addition to the electronic transcript images you uploaded. You must request these from the institutions involved. If you have a foreign transcript, include both the official document in the original language and an official English translation.
Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies
University of Michigan
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
Please be aware that submitted documents cannot be returned or forwarded.
When we will respond
The faculty begin making admission offers in January and will continue through April. We will notify you by letter or email as soon as a decision has been reached. Your application status is not available online.
We are unable to send confirmation when we have received your complete application. However, if there's something missing from your file that we need to make our decision, we will contact you via email.
Decisions for admission and financial aid are made separately. If you are awarded departmental financial assistance, you will be notified via email. You will not be notified if the department declines financial aid.