JI-SUGS Program - For Graduate Studies in Electrical & Computer Engineering
The EECS JI-SUGS program was designed for students receiving Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) BS degrees from the UM-SJTU Joint Institute (JI). Students may earn a master's in Electrical & Computer Engineering while “double counting” up to six credit hours between their bachelor’s and master’s programs.
To be eligible for the JI-SUGS Program, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in the ECE Undergraduate Program of the UM-SJTU JI in Shanghai (students who come to Ann Arbor to study are not eligible).
- Have a 3.6 GPA or better
- Not be enrolled in two undergraduate degree programs or in a dual-degree program from U-M or the JI (basically, you can only double count courses between two programs)
The application process is the same as the normal application process with some exceptions.
- Select the correct program under the heading: Electrical Engineering & Computer Science - Electrical & Computer Engineering
- JI-SUGS Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Make sure to upload your transcript (unofficial is okay).
- For the academic statement of purpose, a document stating “JI-SUGS Program – Academic Statement of Purpose Not Required”
- For the personal statement, upload a document stating “JI-SUGS Program – Personal Statement Not Required”
- You do not have to submit GRE scores.
- You do have to submit English proficiency test scores. Click here for more information about recommended tests and minimum test scores.
To start in September (Fall Term): January 15
Admission to the JI-SUGS Program is not automatic. The program to which the student has applied will make an admissions decision based on the submitted material.
If admitted, the student must provide verification of financial support for the estimated cost of the first year in the program.
What makes the SUGS program unique is that it allows students in the program to double count 6 credit hours to both the undergraduate and graduate degree.
Listed are some requirements regarding double counting.
- Must be graduate level
- Be taken during the Junior or Senior year
- The grade must be a grade of B or better
- Course must the meet the Master’s degree program requirements.
- Course must be approved by the graduate program (normally at the time of admission) and approved also by the SJTU JI undergraduate program advisor.
- Cannot be part of the required core coursework for the JI-BS; however, they can be courses taken to meet technical or general elective requirements
- Double counted credits may have been taken prior to admission to the JI-SUGS.
- Students must enroll in the master's program for at least two full terms, paying full tuition.
- Students must complete at least 24 credit hours in residence at U-M Ann Arbor.