Computer Science-LSA vs. Computer Science-Engineering
Choose the Path That's Right For You
The Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science offers two program paths to a degree in Computer Science. One is through the LSA College and the other is through the College of Engineering.
The concentration/program requirements are almost exactly the same for both programs (Computer Science-LSA and Computer Science -Engr).
Computer Science Requirements (CS-LSA and CS-Engr):
- Identical Core Computer Science requirements
- Identical Major Design Experience requirement
- Identical Upper Level Elective requirement
- Slight difference in Flexible Technical Elective hours and list
Declares of both Computer Science-LSA and Computer Science-Engr have availability to the following Resources:
- Engineering Resource Center (assists with all aspects of internships and job placement)
- CAEN computer account
The differences are in the general requirements required of all LSA or College of Engineering students in order to get a degree from their respective college.
- Total Number of Credits Required
- LSA requires 120 credits
- Engineering requires 128 credits
- Name of Degree Earned
- LSA degree is a Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
- Engineering degree is a Bachelor of Science Engineering (Computer Science)
- Double Majors
- LSA students can more easily double-major with other LSA departments
- Engineering students can more easily dual with other Engineering programs
These are general comparisons. For more information about the specific requirements in each college, please consult the College of LSA Bulletin and the LSA Advising Center or the College of Engineering Bulletin and the Engineering Advising Center.
Please feel free to reference both of the Program Guides provided below for details about requirements. You will notice that much of the program information is identical.
If you still have questions about which program is best for you, please feel free to contact the EECS Undergraduate Advising Office and set up an appointment with an Advisor!