Research projects in the Solid-State area cover a wide variety of topics. Experimental research in integrated photonics and optoelectronics spans work varying from device design and fabrication, device physics, optoelectronic integrated circuits and photonic integrated circuits for communication, imaging and sensing, solar cells, to the integration of III-V based photonics with Si CMOS. In many of these areas, the experimental work is complemented by theory, modeling and analysis. Research in organic and molecular electronics includes organic field-effect transistors, integrated circuits and light-emitting devices on glass and plastic substrates, hydrogenated amorphous silicon thin-film transistors and active-matrix arrays on glass and plastic substrates for flat panel displays and sensors, and active-matrix organic light-emitting display technology.
The SSEL is a leader in the research of high performance electronic and optoelectronic devices based on high quality compound semiconductor materials and complex semiconductor heterostructures. The epitaxial growth of compound semiconductor materials is an integral part of the SSEL, where three molecular beam epitaxy systems and one metal-organic chemical vapor deposition system are currently under extensive use for the research of new materials and to support device research.
The SSEL is also home to one of the most active and prominent programs in high-frequency (GHz and THz) devices, materials and integrated circuits. Devices have ranged from vacuum tubes used in the 1950s for use in microwave circuits to mainly solid-state devices that have been developed and used since the 1960s. Many significant developments in millimeter, microwave, and RF circuits have been made during the past five decades, and ongoing research focuses on the development and application of THz frequency devices and technologies.
Finally, there is a rapid growing interest in the study of nanoscience and the development of nanotechnogies. Many interesting phenomena and new properties associated with various nanostructures represent an untapped source of scientific investigation. There are strong efforts in SSEL in nanotechnology and nanofabrication, and significant advancements were achieved in 2004 in developing new nanotechnologies and exploring many novel applications.
Related News Articles
- 2015-03-24 Cheng Zhang Awarded Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship for Research on...
- 2015-01-27 Somin Eunice Lee Receives CAREER Award for Research in Nanoscale...
- 2014-12-24 Arborlight: LED-Based Skylights and Sunshine in Real Time
- 2014-12-18 The Future of Solar: $1.3M to Advance Organic Photovoltaics
- 2014-11-14 Technological implants will allow us to improve our bodily functions
- 2014-11-10 Student Spotlight: Kyusang Lee: A Leader in Flexible Solar Cell...
- 2014-11-07 Michigan and Prof. Forrest awarded photovoltaics R&D award from the...
- 2014-11-07 New Approaches to Solar Cell Technology Featured in Sustainability...
- 2014-10-15 Prof. Becky Peterson Awarded DARPA Young Faculty Award to Investigate...
- 2014-10-02 Mapping the brain with lasers
- 2014-09-29 Long-Lived Blue OLED Could Lead to Better Displays
- 2014-09-26 Blue LED breakthrough for efficient electronics
- 2014-08-27 Kyu-Tae Lee Wins Best Poster Award for Colorful Solar Cells
- 2014-08-07 New graphene sensor technology for personal and environmental health
- 2014-08-06 Low-Power Laser Could Speed CPUs
- 2014-08-06 Optoelectronics: A practical polariton laser
- 2014-07-31 Shrinking the size of optical systems, exponentially
- 2014-07-15 Thomas Frost Receives Best Paper Award for Achieving a HQ QD Red Laser
- 2014-06-26 Metal particles in memristors do not stay put
- 2014-06-23 A better light bulb
- 2014-06-05 A new way to make laser-like beams using 250x less power
- 2014-05-22 Small, Simple Terahertz Detector Converts The Pulses To Sound
- 2014-05-20 Terahertz Detectors Go Handheld
- 2014-05-19 T-ray converts light to sound for weapons detection, medical imaging
- 2014-04-22 Mina Rais-Zadeh Receives 2014 ONR Young Investigator Program (YIP)...
- 2014-04-17 Infrared Sensor Could Lead to Night Vision Contact Lenses (with video)
- 2014-03-20 Paradigm Shifting Research Advances in Sensor Technology
- 2014-03-18 New tech could lead to night vision contact lenses
- 2014-03-03 Transparent color solar cells fuse energy, beauty
- 2014-03-03 Photon Glue Enables New Quantum State That Could Mean Better...
- 2014-02-13 Biochips for better cancer therapy
- 2010-10-20 New Equation Could Advance Research in Solar Cells
- 2013-08-15 Image processing 1,000 times faster is goal of new $5M contract
- 2013-05-30 Workshop to Chart the Future of Nano and Micro Manufacturing
- 2013-05-15 A new laser paradigm: An electrically injected polariton laser
- 2013-01-22 MCubing by ECE Faculty to find answers - fast
- 2013-04-12 A better single-photon emitter for quantum cryptography
- 2013-02-26 Scientific Milestone: A room temperature Bose-Einstein condensate
- 2013-02-07 Next-gen e-readers: Improved peacock technology could lock in color...
- 2013-02-05 Computers that mimic the brain thanks to memristors (video)
- 2013-02-05 A new laser to ID distant materials night and day
- 2013-01-29 Zhaohui Zhong Receives CAREER Award for Research in Graphene-based...
- 2012-12-20 Super-fine sound beam could one day be an invisible scalpel
- 2012-12-04 Seunghyun Lee takes the gold for all-graphene flexible and...
- 2012-09-20 Enabling flexible, transparent electronics with high speed...
- 2012-09-19 Ku: PhysOrg - Nano-origami project combines art and engineering to...
- 2012-08-30 Nano-origami project combines art and engineering to further...
- 2012-06-20 ECE startup, PicoCal, receives a a Small Company Innovation Program...
- 2012-05-30 Mona Jarrahi Receives ARO Young Investigator Award
- 2012-03-29 Mona Jarrahi Receives ONR Young Investigator Award
- 2012-03-29 Artificial synapses could lead to advanced computer memory and...
- 2012-03-26 Next-generation computer memory firm receives U-Ms first startup...
- 2012-02-23 Cleaner, longer-lasting lighting the goal of a new company called...
- 2011-12-01 New coating makes objects invisible
- 2011-10-06 Colored solar cells could make display screens more efficient
- 2011-09-09 New NSF Center for Photonic and Multiscale Nanomaterials
- 2010-08-26 Smallest U-M logo demonstrates advanced display technology
- 2010-06-22 Organic Laser Breakthrough
- 2010-02-03 Wei Lu Receives CAREER Award
- 2009-11-12 Duncan Steel will Advance Quantum Information Processes in New MURI
- 2009-09-14 Continuous Nanoimprinting for Displays and Solar Cells
- 2009-07-08 Lasers can lengthen quantum bit memory by 1,000 times
- 2009-03-18 Prof. Lus memristor chip could lead to faster, cheaper computers
- 2009-01-20 Flexible photodetectors for sharper photos
- 2009-01-08 Wei Lu talks about whats next after silicon
- 2008-10-01 Innovation Nanoimprint Lithography
- 2008-08-29 Fast quantum computer building block created
- 2007-08-21 Breakthrough in Quantum Computing
- Azadegan, Reza
- Bhattacharya, Pallab
- Forrest, Stephen R.
- Guo, L. Jay
- Kanicki, Jerzy
- Ku, Pei-Cheng (P.C.)
- Lee, Somin Eunice
- Lu, Wei
- Peterson, Becky (R. L.)
- Phillips, Jamie D.
- Singh, Jasprit
- Steel, Duncan
- Terry, Fred
- Zhong, Zhaohui