EECS 509 / IOE 517 - Course Information
Homepage address: http://www.eecs.umich.edu/courses/eecs509/eecs509.html
Class Time: Tue - Thu: 3:00 - 4:30 pm in G610 IOE Building.
Office: 4219 EECS
Office Hours: Tue - Thu: 1:45-3:00 pm or by appointment
Read the page Statement about Honor Code
for important information about collaboration and the honor code.
- Homework (9 Problem Sets plus a Small Project): 30%
- Midterm Exam (Open notes; in class, 80 min.,
Thu Mar. 13): 30%
- Final Exam (Open notes;
Wed. Apr. 30, 1:30 - 3:30 pm) : 40%
No textbook is required.
Relevant excerpts supplementing the class notes and the
material on reserve (see below) will be
distributed in class.
The following four books will be the main references for the class.
They are on reserve in the Media Union.
(Note that the books by Gazis and Sheffi are out
- Traffic Science,
by Denos C. Gazis, Editor, Wiley, 1974.
- Concise Encyclopedia of Traffic and Transportation Systems,
by Markos Papageorgiou, Editor, Pergamon Press, 1991.
- Flows in Transportation Networks,
by Renfrey B. Potts and Robert M. Oliver, Academic Press, 1972.
- Urban Transportation Networks,
by Yosef Sheffi, Prentice-Hall, 1985.
Problem Sets and Small Project
Nine problem sets will be assigned weekly until the
end of March.
A small project will be assigned near the end of the term.
The scope of this project will be roughly equivalent to that of
three problem sets.
Some of the homework problems and possibly the project
will require using the software
for PCs available on CAEN.
The dates of the problem sets and the project are as follows:
- Thu. Jan. 16: Pr. Set 1 assigned.
- Thu. Jan. 23: Pr. Set 2 assigned. Pr. Set 1 due.
- Thu. Jan. 30: Pr. Set 3 assigned. Pr. Set 2 due.
- Thu. Feb. 6: Pr. Set 4 assigned. Pr. Set 3 due.
- Thu. Feb. 13: Pr. Set 5 assigned. Pr. Set 4 due.
- Thu. Feb. 20: Pr. Set 6 assigned. Pr. Set 5 due.
- Thu. Feb. 27: Pr. Set 6 due.
- Tue. Mar. 11: Pr. Set 7 assigned.
- Thu. Mar. 20: Pr. Set 8 assigned. Pr. Set 7 due.
- Thu. Mar. 27: Pr. Set 9 assigned. Pr. Set 8 due.
- Thu. Apr. 3: Pr. Set 9 due. Small Project assigned.
- Wed. Apr. 23: Small Project due.
The material for the midterm exam will be up to and including
the class of Tue. Feb. 25 and the first 6 problem sets
(solutions given Thu. Feb. 27) - i.e., up to the spring break.
The final exam will be comprehensive.
Click here to go to the course syllabus.
Back to course homepage
Last Modified: 1997/05/05