Tentative Reading List for EECS 684, Winter 2006
Here is a tentative list of papers that we will cover in EECS684. Some of these papers are marked for individual student presentation.
Many of these publications are available to UM students via http://www.lib.umich.edu/. I have found the two following links particularly useful for database publications:
http://www.lib.umich.edu/eresources/user.php?list=Engin (the links to IEEE and SpringerLink have many popular database articles)
http://www.lib.umich.edu/ejournals/lists/electrenaco.html for a list of journals in EECS.
The ResearchIndex (CiteSeer) is an excellent source of publications and citations.
· Patricia G. Selinger, Morton M. Astrahan, Donald D. Chamberlin, Raymond A. Lorie, Thomas G. Price: Access Path Selection in a Relational Database Management System. SIGMOD Conference 1979: 23-34. (also in the red book, pg. 141). Local copy.
· Surajit Chaudhuri: An Overview of Query Optimization in Relational Systems. PODS 1998: 34-43. Local Copy.
· Leonard D. Shapiro: Join Processing in Database Systems with Large Main Memories. TODS 11(3): 239-264 (1986), (Also in the red book, pg. 128). Navigate to “ACM transactions on database systems” via UM’s engineering journal link.
· Chapter 22 of the Cow book.
· Jim Gray, Pat Helland, Patrick E. O'Neil, Dennis Shasha: The Dangers of Replication and a Solution. SIGMOD Conf. 1996: 173-182 (also in the red book, pg. 372)
· R. Williams, et. al.: R*: An Overview of the Architecture. JCDKB 1982: 1-27 (also in the red book, pg. 329).
· Lothar F. Mackert, Guy M. Lohman: R* Optimizer Validation and Performance Evaluation for Distributed Queries. VLDB 1986: 149-159 (also in the red book, pg. 351).
· Michael Stonebraker, Paul M. Aoki, Witold Litwin, Avi Pfeffer, Adam Sah, Jeff Sidell, Carl Staelin, Andrew Yu: Mariposa: A Wide-Area Distributed Database System. VLDB Journal 5(1): 48-63 (1996) (also in the red book, pg. 382).
· Antonin Guttman: R-Trees: A Dynamic Index Structure for Spatial Searching. SIGMOD Conference 1984: 47-57 (Also in the red book, pg. 90). Local Copy
· Hari Balakrishnan, Magdalena Balazinska, Donald Carney, Ugur Çetintemel, Mitch Cherniack, Christian Convey, Eduardo F. Galvez, Jon Salz, Michael Stonebraker, Nesime Tatbul, Richard Tibbetts, Stanley B. Zdonik: Retrospective on Aurora. VLDB J. 13(4): 370-383 (2004)
· Daniel J. Abadi, Yanif Ahmad, Magdalena Balazinska, Ugur Çetintemel, Mitch Cherniack, Jeong-Hyon Hwang, Wolfgang Lindner, Anurag Maskey, Alex Rasin, Esther Ryvkina, Nesime Tatbul, Ying Xing, Stanley B. Zdonik: The Design of the Borealis Stream Processing Engine. CIDR 2005: 277-289
· Samuel Madden, Michael J. Franklin, Joseph M. Hellerstein, Wei Hong: TinyDB: an acquisitional query processing system for sensor networks. ACM Trans. Database Syst. 30(1): 122-173 (2005)
· Ryan Huebsch, Brent N. Chun, Joseph M. Hellerstein, Boon Thau Loo, Petros Maniatis, Timothy Roscoe, Scott Shenker, Ion Stoica, Aydan R. Yumerefendi: The Architecture of PIER: an Internet-Scale Query Processor. CIDR 2005: 28-43
· Guy Bernard, Jalel Ben-Othman, Luc Bouganim, Gérôme Canals, Sophie Chabridon, Bruno Defude, Jean Ferrié, Stéphane Gançarski, Rachid Guerraoui, Pascal Molli, Philippe Pucheral, Claudia Roncancio, Patricia Serrano-Alvarado, Patrick Valduriez: Mobile Databases: a Selection of Open Issues and Research Directions. SIGMOD Record 33(2): 78-83 (2004)
· Jim Gray, Prashant J. Shenoy: Rules of Thumb in Data Engineering. ICDE 2000: 3-12, Also available as http://research.microsoft.com/~gray/papers/MS_TR_99_100_Rules_of_Thumb_in_Data_Engineering.pdf
· Michael J. Hanson and updated by D. McNamee: Efficient Reading of Papers in Science and Technology, 1989. link.
· Smith, "The Task of the Referee," IEEE Computer, April 1990. link
· Patrick Valduriez, “Some Hints to Improve Writing of Technical Papers”, Correspondence in Engineering of Information Systems, Hermes, Vol. 2, No. 3, 1994. link